[Tfug] Really weird query: how do I totally turn off a USB device?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun May 16 20:53:15 MST 2010

EARL, THANK YOU!  That was it...plug the cellmodem in only once VBox is up.

Now here's what I'm able to do with this: in the VBox setup screens, I turn
all network adapters off.  I have the Ubuntu host OS connected WiFi to Cox.
 I have the guest WinXP machine online through the cellmodem.  Speedtest.net
or the like show totally different speeds, and tracert confirms each is
operating on separate paths.

Now WTF would I need this for?

To test certain SSH/VNC connections from the WinXP machine to a host in NYC.
 Turns out that when the XP guest does it's networking through Ubuntu,
Ubuntu's firewalls screw it all up somehow.  This way, the XP guest is
plugged more directly onto the net.  NOT near as secure of course.  But as a
bonus I can also use the Verizon software in the WinXP guest to update the
cellmodem's internal coverage maps, making it work faster in Linux when I
use it on the road.

Way cool!

Thanks,

Jim