[Tfug] Synchronizing directories.

Matt Jacob matt at mattjacob.com
Fri May 7 14:32:47 MST 2010

On 5/7/10 1:58 PM, John Hubbard wrote:
> directory. Can you comment on whether or not things get any faster after
> it has done its original scan or will it always take that long to run?

Yes, once the initial index is built, subsequent updates shouldn't take
very long at all. This is not the case if one of the machines involved
is running Windows, so I recommend you only use Unison on *nix systems.

Also, some other things to consider: a large number of files will slow
Unison down because it has to examine every inode for changes. If there
are directories or file types that don't need to be synced, you might
see a performance increase by ignoring them.

If you have a very active directory that changes frequently, but the
rest of your stuff doesn't change very often, you should set up a
separate profile that is limited in scope to just the stuff that changes
often.

Check out the Unison FAQ, because it goes into greater detail on all of
these topics:

http://ma2t.me/1k

Matt