[Tfug] ThinkPad T61 Debian KDE Wireless

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 19:48:49 MST 2010

[snip]
> All these issues were encountered using the amd64 versions of Lenny
> 5.0-5.04, which were immeadiately resolved by switching to the i386 version
> of Lenny5.04.  Without any need for the "computer hostname".
>
> I'm not surprised, really; I'm fine with it: I just wanted to try the amd64
> versions of Debian.  :(

Well, aside from my recent woes, I've been running amd64 debian for 3
years now on the t60 and have been mostly very happy. The only issues
with 32/64 bit that I know of was the lack of flashplugin which is now
solved.

[snip]
> BTW, I did the whole network install over the wireless, without any need for
> a wire, using only the install CD: ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

I just did a similar install last weekend for the mother-in-law and
used a usb flashkey. If you ever have to install again, check it out.
usb-creator! Very cool. If the bios supports booting from usb, you are
good to go. Download the iso, and follow the directions. The coolest
thing is you don't have to burn a disk, and you don't even have to
format the usb stick. It puts it on a fat32 formatted stick just fine
and leaves files intact if you have any there as long as you have the
700MB free. Once you boot (and you can even just use it as a livecd
with a small writable loopback -- imagine the possibilities!) it runs
just like the install cd. I found that to be a big win.