[Tfug] ThinkPad T61 Debian KDE Wireless

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 17:50:10 MST 2010

Hey Claude,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 09:36:04PM -0600, JD Rogers wrote:
>> I have sid on a T60 and knetworkmanager has been hosed for a month. I
>> thought I had it tracked down to nm, but I gave up and have just been
>> using manual ifup and ifdown for week now. If anyone figures out what
>> went wrong, I'd love to know, but I just haven't had time to dig.
>> Maybe I'll try the gnome applet and see if it fairs any better.
>
> What exactly is the problem?  I'm on Testing, but it looks like both
> distros are on nework-manager 0.8-1.  A while back, an upgrade to
> NetworkManager made it stop working for me.  The solution was to
> update my /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf.  See:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568784 and
> http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager.

I should look at that. If I remember rightly, knm just stopped
associating with my wireless AP at home. It would switch to wired at
the lab ok, but suspending and resuming to my home would just fail. No
error or any timeout of any kind. It would see the AP, but when I
selected it, it would immediately show 'disconnected' with no
explanation. I thought I found the bug listed somewhere with the
suggestion of upgrading to the version that was in experimental at the
time, but that was kde4 version and has never worked. I tried
reverting (much like what I gathered the OP was asking about), but
failed, and started using manual ifup/ifdown as I didn't have time at
that point to pursue it. A week went by and the unstable wound up with
the same version, so reverting didn't matter anyway.

> Also, for the commandline junkies among us, I just stumbled across
> cnetworkmanager in Debian's package directory.  It's a commandline
> interface to network-manager.  Haven't tried it yet, but it would be
> very nice to not be dependent on the applet.

Ya, I used to be kind of annoyed that associating and bring up
networking relied on a user logging in, it seemed to me that
networking should be up and running before logging in. I'm kind of
past that now, since for my workstation, I disabled the applet and
have static IP. With my laptop, I don't typically tyurn it on without
logging in and expect to be able to remotely access it, so it hasn't
been a big deal. As for a CLI tool, its odd. I though nm-tool did most
of that already. Anyway, I just have network aliases defined in my
/etc/network/interfaces file and it's pretty easy to type "ifup
wlan0=home" when i get home.

JDR