[Tfug] ThinkPad T61 Debian KDE Wireless

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 17:39:37 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:
> That is strange. Definitely shows everyone's tastes in computing. I have
> never cared for Gnome in anyway at all. I have always been a KDE user. When
> KDE 4 came out I waited mostly till 4.1.0 was out and I have not looked
> back. I like everything about the new KDE system. Including Kdevelop, though
> it is still lacking some features, I use it for c,c++, and php and it works
> great.

Hmm, interesting.

Well, I never used kdevelop that much. But my friend does and
complained that several useful features were dropped and apparently
have no intention of being supported (automake and autotools,
integrated diff'ing of files, svn support, integrated shell / konsole,
etc.). Those are the ones I remember him complaining about and seemed
odd that all those useful things would get dropped.

My main complaint is with things like kile which after upgrading
dropped all the useful shortcut keys. Now I have to edit custom
shortcut keys for each machine I use and keep them synced. When kile
is running, I get screen garbage everytime I switch windows and have
to scroll up and down to clear it so I can read what I wrote.
knetworkmanager got very flakey after I upgraded (more on that in my
next response), and what I kan't figure out is why all the 'useful'
stuff has been dropped. Hell, I kan't even right klick on the applet
and close it, I have to kill it from the comand line. With knm from
kde3, you could actually close the applet from within the applet.
Seems like a stupid thing to drop.  I don't use kde if I don't have to
and still use flux for my WM, but I used to find the kde apps way
better than gnome equivalents. Now I'm not so sure.

To be fair, I have not spent the time to really dig deep, so maybe
there are good reasons, and maybe spending a weekend setting things up
would help, but I haven't had time yet and I never had to with kde3.
In the end, I don't really care that much about kde, I'm just puzzled
that there are so many seemingly nice or expected features that are
now conspicuously absent. *shrug*

JDR