[Tfug] OT: Outdoor displays

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sun Mar 28 14:05:31 MST 2010

On Sunday 28 March 2010 11:54, Bexley Hall wrote:
> A zero-cost way of doing this is just to interface
> an otherwise unusable LCD monitor to the scale (via
> a "PC"), poll the scale and display the result in
> a very large "typeface".
>
> Downside of this is the display would have to be outside
> (since the scale's location was chosen less than ideally).

Instead of a LCD, why don;t you look around for a scrolling LED diplay (the
type normally used for scrolling messages in large buildings). I'm sure there
is one hiding around the halls of WorldCare somewhere. It should be plenty
bright to see outside, under an overhang it ought to be weather-resistant
enough, and it fairly innocuous when turn off and left outside. Mount it up
and continuously update it from a PC inside attached to the scale.

Adrian