[Tfug] CDs: no medium found, DVDs work (sometimes)

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Mon Jun 28 17:18:44 MST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Don Freeman <dfreeman at pagnet.org> wrote:
> 'Cuse me for jumping into the middle here.

By all means, jump in. I appreciate any and all ideas, and I should
thank Zack for the suggestion too (he may well be right), I just don't
*think* its hardware. But I suppose I better make absolutely sure.

> I presume you've considered bad/poorly formatted disks?

I had. I am using stamped data disks from conference proceedings right
now. I have two, one is DVD data and the other CD data. At some point
I verified that these CDROMs were actually working on another machine,
but I'll add that to the list of things to double check tomorrow. I've
also checked this across about 5-10 other disks although not recently.

> DVD's seem to be particularly sensitive to format/speed issues.

Right, tighter tolerances with smaller pits and all that. Which makes
it even stranger that DVDs are sometimes working and CDs not at all.
Not to mention that I am using pressed disks, not burned disks.

> Some of the newer formats don't work on the older drives.
> What are the CD formats you are having trouble with?
> Have they been formatted as RW's?

So far, I've focused on reading disks that I know to be good assuming
that if I solve that, I should be able to burn and read burned disks
too. But I am not able to 'see' a blank CD for burning either. Since
reading DVDs sometimes works, I may try burning a DVD just to see if
that works.

> Some of the formatting techniques for CDs leave them unreadable
> without the software that formatted them.
> Are the sessions open or closed?

Again, I welcome all suggestions, but I especially would love to hear
from anyone who is familiar or has been keeping track of kernel
changes with regard to scsi emulation vs ata and that sort of thing. I
have a gut feeling it may be related to changes in the way CDROM
drives are handled at the kernel level, but again, maybe not.

Thanks, and keep any suggestions coming.
JDR