[Tfug] Connectors

Louis Taber ltaber at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:39:12 MST 2010

Hi,

I am still using a Dell PowerEdge 400SC "server" that I purchased without an
operating system.  My guess that the "server" bit was to keep Microsoft
happy about the no OS.  Dell did several things that made little sense:
2 USB connections behind the front panel.
Audio, but "no support"
PCI video card, and no support for the AGP slot
I ended up cutting a rather large hole in the plastic front penel to access
the two USB connectors.  The cable to the front panel included the signals
for the USB connectors, the power switch and power LED.  They didn't really
do a new design to make the "server".   They just covered up the ports!
(Dell did ship it with 128Mbytes of ECC memory.)

  - Louis