[Tfug] Connectors

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 18:09:49 MST 2010

> Anyone have any *good* experiences in this regard?  Here,
> I'm especially interested in some of the more "proprietary"
> (i.e., not "industry standard") connections that you
> may encounter on consumer kit...

My problem tends to be things being unplugged inadvertently - thus I
like locking connections.  Firewire, especially the 9-pin 800 variant,
tends to easily be unplugged.

To this end, I tend to like what comes on audio gear. XLR is
relatively easy to plug in and is locking with a button to press to
disconnect.You can buy ethernet jacks and a variety of other
connectors in XLR shells like this:

http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/dataconnectors/204_1954039963/etherCON_CAT6_group.aspx
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/dataconnectors/203_1053537495/Multimedia_group.aspx

Most 1/4" and 1/8" audio jacks are pretty nice and stay in place.

More recently, the DisplayPort full size connector is locking with
most cables and is keyed to go in only one way.

- Zack