[Tfug] Android-based phones (was: Reminder to respect one another)

Matt Jacob matt at mattjacob.com
Wed Jun 16 15:41:56 MST 2010

Joe Roberts wrote:
> Hey I don't know lot about Android.  What phones/hardware are people
> running it on, and through what providers?  My New Every 2 Verizon thing

I've got an HTC EVO 4G on Sprint, and it's been great so far (about a
week and a half). I don't particularly care for HTC Sense, but I'm
considering rooting the phone and installing Android 2.2 on it anyway.
Battery life wasn't too good until I disabled battery-intensive features
that I don't use very often (GPS, BT, wi-fi, background data, etc.).

Honestly, one of the biggest selling points is the carrier. If you don't
venture too far from the southwestern U.S., Sprint has the best
combination of value and service IMO. Even with the $10 "EVO tax", my
Sprint plan is easily $20-30 cheaper than it would be with Verizon or
AT&T. I suppose T-Mobile might be the same (or cheaper), but they don't
have a great reputation AFAIK.

Matt