[Tfug] America's Founding

Michael Gatto gatto_omar at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:45:11 MST 2010

There's a reason why all of our earliest government buildings look
pagan Greek and Roman: that's where intellectuals of the time looked to
for their inspirations, not ancient Israel or Byzantium.

I think its pretty clear that the theorists and the "doers" in founding this country were a mixed lot of devout Christians and Deists. Nonetheless, many of the ideals of American Government were not wholly derived from the Puritan settlers, but from Thomas Paine and other products of the secular Enlightenment and very a-religious a-moral Renaissance.

A Biblical theocracy would seek to enforce Biblical laws, or Church Canon or such. Our laws do not in their details. Perhaps one could make the argument that the Founding Fathers did not seek to offend Christians and even included some nods to them, but its clear to me, at least, that they always intended it to be a business-friendly, be-free, worship and live how you see fit Cosmopolitanism. That's not so bad, is it??

- Mike Gatto