[Tfug] wicd can't make WEP connection via its configuration

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:37:17 MST 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:38 PM, christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:
> which thinkpad do you have? I have a t61 and have no problems. I'm using
> arch linux though. it's a bit less end-user oriented, but I've had no real
> problems since using it.
>
> -- chris

I have a T42p.

How about the hard disk safety feature (hdap, IIRC) where the disk
will spin down when sudden motion is sensed?  Under 8.04 (not 8.10 as
I stated earlier) it requires a module which needs a patched kernel,
IIRC.  I don't know that it was ever included as pre-configured in any
of the earlier versions, as I just recently became aware that Linux
has support for it.

Also under the 6.04 that I had installed as my first Ubuntu install on
this T42, pushing the volume buttons invoked an OSD showing a change
in volume, much as under the evil empire OS family.  Not so under
8.04.

I used SuSE from 5.2 to 8, over about 5 years, (which up through ver 7
or so handled the upgrades really nicely, then IMO it deteriorated, in
much the same way as recent versions of Ubuntu have).  Before that it
was Slakware which was start from scratch for every upgrade.

Then I tried Knoppix which introduced me to the debian package system
which seemed a lot less hassle to upgrade.  Going through and
configuring all the little nooks and crannies is ok or even bordering
on fun the first time or two, but it gets old fast.

--
John