[Tfug] kubuntu grub.cfg question

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 10:33:15 MST 2010

So, Grilo, or is it Ligrub, strikes again.  If we are going to use the
last two versions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu, we are going to have to
participate in the great undocumented bootloader experiment, where
grub is changed to work a lot more like lilo.  Instead of having to
run lilo when you change the lilo configuration file, you have to run
update-grub after changing I am not sure what as it hasn't been
documented yet.  We're all in this together.  I did succeed in getting
XP to be the first Grub2 boot entry even through kernel upgrades, but
I don't remember how.

I also have installed 9.04, then upgraded that to 9.10, then upgraded
that to 10.04, before using the installs, and that gives me 10.04 with
grub 1.  I tried the procedure on Ubuntu to change from grub 2 to grub
1, but it leaves something out and doesn't work.  Maybe there is a
good article that does really work?  Whatever.  I am starting to like
Scientific Linux, after using CentOS also.  Sure the kernel is old and
patched, bu it is still supported for another 5 years in that
incarnation.  I like the 7 year support.  CentOS 3 and RHEL 3 are just
getting to EOL.  However it is a lot more work to use those on a
laptop or wireless computer.  So I use Ubuntu on those.

I haven't looked lately, does anyone know of a good document covering Grub 2?

For Charles's problem I am not sure what to do as I believe the
selections he is presented with come from grub automatically scanning
for OSs, and those listings are automatically (wrongly) enunciated.
Maybe it is like the new Xorg that automatically scans the hardware
and gives you the optimal 1024x768 on your 1280x1024 monitor.  I don't
mind it being automatic, I just don't like it being automatically
wrong with no way to change it that won't get overwritten on the next
boot when it rescans.