[Tfug] Stopping repeated login attempts

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Jan 27 21:33:55 MST 2010

On 27 Jan 2010, Bexley Hall wrote:
> > > Moving SSH to another port would be like moving the door on
> > > your house to prevent burglars from kicking it in.
> >
> > Sure but I don't know many houses that have ~65000 doors =)
> > don't think that is a fair?comparison
> > ?=)?
>
> OTOH, you probably don't know many burglars who can
> kick 1000 doors per second!  ;-)

You are correct that choosing a non-standard port does not offer
any real security. But if you understand that moving SSH to
another port is akin to hiding the door and does not actually
increase security, then I think it is a useful component of a
security policy.

For low profile individuals/organizations, having hidden doors
can prevent many if not most break-ins simply because nobody is
looking for them.

On the other hand, a high profile target will get very little use
out of such measures.

--
Glen