[Tfug] OT firefox protocol handler

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 23:02:33 MST 2010

Any firefox experts out there? I'm dealing with the apple itms/itmss
protocol (on linux of course), and for some reason I keep getting

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(javascript) isn't associated with any program"

I have a script that I want the protocol to be handled by, but the lines
in prefs.js don't seem to make firefox handle the protocol in this way.
I've tried

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.itms",
"/home/chris/Documents/programming/itmsslaughter/itmsslaughter");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.itmss",
"/home/chris/Documents/programming/itmsslaughter/itmsslaughter");

as well as

user_pref("*network.protocol-handler.expose.itmss"*, false);
user_pref("*network.protocol-handler.expose.itms"*, false);

There are two lines there because there seems to be itms as well as
itmss from apple. Omitting one or the other line (itms or itmss) doesn't
change things either. Anyone know if there is some reason that firefox
might not be responding to this? Does the script have to run a certain
way? At the moment, it's a mostly empty script, and it simply redirects
stdin to a file.

-- Chris