[Tfug] wireless connecting

Paul Scott waterhorse at ultrasw.com
Mon Jan 18 00:49:58 MST 2010

christopher floess wrote:

>> (Using Debian sid)
>>
>> What might the typo look like?  I don't see any obvious ones.
> Yeah, it's totally subtle. In /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf, if you've
> got an empty set of square brackets in there [], then just copy that
> file to /etc/wicd/some.backup.of.wicd-wired-settings.conf, and delete
> the line with the square brackets in the original. By chance, I actually
> still have the copy of the file with the typo there still, so here it is.
>
> [root at turnstile abs]# cat /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf.corrupt
> [DEFAULT]
> lastused = True
>
> []

I currently running version 1.70 of wicd and don't see that.  This
version correctly identified the wireless as WPA2 Personal.

I just got back and tried to connect wirelessly.  I got authentication
problems even though I can't see any differences between the passwords.

I attached the cable and got connected.  Now the wicd interface says:
"No wireless networks found"

> That last last set of empty square brackets is the culprit. Simply
> getting rid of that line made things work. The problem is that, if I
> remember correctly, you would have had problems with wicd starting at
> all, so this may not be the problem you're running into.

No, wicd always seems to start.

Thanks,

Paul