[Tfug] wireless connecting

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:09:01 MST 2010

> (Using Debian sid)
>
> What might the typo look like?  I don't see any obvious ones.
Yeah, it's totally subtle. In /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf, if you've
got an empty set of square brackets in there [], then just copy that
file to /etc/wicd/some.backup.of.wicd-wired-settings.conf, and delete
the line with the square brackets in the original. By chance, I actually
still have the copy of the file with the typo there still, so here it is.

[root at turnstile abs]# cat /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf.corrupt
[DEFAULT]
lastused = True

[]

That last last set of empty square brackets is the culprit. Simply
getting rid of that line made things work. The problem is that, if I
remember correctly, you would have had problems with wicd starting at
all, so this may not be the problem you're running into. It's worth a
try I guess.

> Does the passkey get regenerated when the passwork is changed?
No idea. If there is a new password on some network that I'm trying to
connect to, I just open the dialog in the tray application and change
the password. Wicd saves it and seems to be smart enough not to use the
old one on subsequent reconnects.

It might be worth noting here that in /etc/wicd you've got these files,
wired-settings.conf and wireless-settings.conf. I've looked into these a
couple of times, and they seem to just get bigger over time, i.e. it
doesn't seem like there is any house keeping for duplicate entries or
something. Right now I'm up to more than 700 lines in
wireless-settings.conf. Again, since you've got a new wicd setup, this
probably isn't your issue, but it might also be worth looking at.

Good luck -- Chris