[Tfug] LNLFA Part 2

erich erich1 at copper.net
Sun Jan 17 09:32:56 MST 2010

OK,
    Thanks for all your responses. Some of them
were very interesting. I do it Bexley's way. My
distro is Gentoo, and I love to build the kernel
and test it against the hardware of the target
machine.

    My next test with this machine is to install
everything on a SATA drive. I'm waiting for my
social security check to come thru so I can
spring for one :) The target motherboard has
6 SATA ports. So this will (Hopefully) be my
first SATA system.

    That's an interesting comment by Nathan
about AMD processors. My target machine has a
Sempron. However I have another (AMD duron)
machine in my shop. and 2.6.31 boots up
in that. A switch to Intel is possible on
this motherboard.

    I remind you all that this stuff is
geeky, and you would never get my 86 y.o.
aunt to do this. She muddles along with
Micro$oft as best she can. I try to send
her photos, but for one reason or another
her machine always down, and she has to
get her son-in-law to fix it. :)

                                Erich