[Tfug] wireless connecting

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 02:42:20 MST 2010

> Can someone help me get connected to the places I can no longer
> connect?  I have researched several areas on this according the
> various error messages I have seen from the interfaces and in the
> logs.  One is:

I assume you're using a Debian based distro? Are you working with wicd
or networkmanager now? If using wicd, according to this site
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php, your /etc/network/interfaces
file should only contain

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I've never configured wicd on Debian based systems, but if I remember
correctly, there are sections in the .../.../interfaces file for each
network interface. These are noticeably absent here, which seems
consistent with the Arch linux wicd wiki
(http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd), where these interfaces are
also disabled. I guess wicd expects to interact with the network
interfaces differently.

Yeah, you could start with that, and if you still have problems, tail
the wicd logs. I've noticed one bug where connecting to a wired network
can bonk my whole wicd setup. Since I'm lazy about finding a real
solution, but also because I rarely connect to wired networks anymore, I
always have to watch the logs after I've connected to a wired network,
and see where wicd puts a typo in one of it config files. Manually
editing the typo and restarting wicd gets me back to the interwebs.

If you prefer to stick with networkmanager, like I said, I can't help
much there.