[Tfug] wireless connecting

Paul Scott waterhorse at ultrasw.com
Sat Jan 16 12:52:37 MST 2010

earljviolet at deserthowler.com wrote:

>> On 01/16/2010 12:45 AM, Paul Scott wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What are recommendations for wireless connection software?  I am
>>> currently not having great success with wicd or network-manager-gnome.
>>> Connections which worked before are not working now.  Two of these are
>>> my home Linksys using WPA2 personal and Epic Cafe (WPA(2)) and
>>> Bentley's (no security).
>>>
>>> TIA for ideas,
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

> Hi, Paul,
>
> I used both.  I found both to work well.  I now use network-manager-gnome
> as it allows me to access hidden networks.  The last time I tried wicd it
> didn't handle that.

Can someone help me get connected to the places I can no longer connect?
  I have researched several areas on this according the various error
messages I have seen from the interfaces and in the logs.  One is:

Unable to obtain IP address.

Another situation is getting connected to the router at Epic Cafe but
not getting beyond that to the Internet when other customers are getting
all the way out.

The one that should be the easiest is my setup here where I could
connect before I set up security but after I set up WP I get "Unable to
obtain IP address"  (dhclient failure to obtain working lease)

One question is what should I have in /etc/network/interfaces for eth1
which is the wireless interface?

Thanks,

Paul