[Tfug] linux no longer for amateurs

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Fri Jan 15 18:20:18 MST 2010

On Fri, January 15, 2010 2:55 pm, erich wrote:

>     I've heard it said that the kernel developers no longer want to
support old hardware, but this machine I'm working on is brand new,
and is becoming a headache to integrate. The kernel is becoming a
horrendously complicated monstrosity that has mixed success working
on the average joe's machine. I subscribe to another listserv and
someone there has thrown their arms in despair about installing a
late version of FC with , you guessed it,
 the 2.6.31 kernel.

I threw up my hands in despair with FC about 6 months ago.  I have good
luck with Ubuntu and Mandriva.

Mandriva 2009 runs live on my Dell 6xx laptop with 256 memory and PIII
667.  The live CD boots faster than XP.

I run Ubuntu 9.10 on a Dell PIII 1Ghz 384 memory.  Slow.

I tried FC 3 or 4 times on different machines with no luck.

AMD machines seem to be hit or miss.

I read a few days ago some old WiFi might be removed from the kernel but
didn't hear of anything else.

Running 2.6.31-17-generic in Ubuntu 9.10 with no problems.

Earl