[Tfug] OT: Cell phones

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 22:19:23 MST 2010

Hi Jeff,

--- On Tue, 1/5/10, Jeff Breadner <jeff at breadner.ca> wrote:

> > My first gotcha is "Usage type".  I see things like:
> > - PlanAllow
> > - PlanAllow, CallVM
> > - IN Allow
> > - IN Allow, CallWait
> > - N&W
> > - N&W,CallVM
> > - N&W,PlanAllow,Span
> >
> > My *guesses* for some of these are:
> > - IN ...
> > "In Network"?
> > - ...Plan Allow...
> > covered in "basic monthly premium"?
> > - ...Span
> > call spans a rate change time (i.e. started at one and
> ended in another)
> > - PlanAllow, CallVM
> > check his voice mail?  the "phone number" is always the same
> > - ... Call Wait
> > another call while he was on the phone with an earlier call
>
>  From http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1518517
>
>    The "Plan Allow" minutes are out of your minutes bucket.

Ah!  I had assumed you had "infinite" PlanAllow calls and the
other ones were the ones that "cost".  :<

> Everything else is unlimited. "Span" means a call is split across two
> rate periods -- Verizon splits the billing on the call as well.

OK, that coincides with what I observed.

>    N&W = nights and weekends
>    M2M = mobile to mobile, the old name for IN
>    CallVM = call to voice mail
>    CallWait = call waiting call

>    all IN calls are now called mobile to mobile. all friends and family
>    calls are also listed as mobile to mobile. peak,non peak,weekends
>    remain same as before as far as what they are when they start/end.
>    the only ones to really pay attention to are Plan Allow and
>    Voicemail call. the rest are free

So, there is some magic formula that weights each of these
various calls/times and combines them into an actual cost.
Sheesh!  You'd have to be a damn accountant to verify you've
been charged correctly!!  :-/

What about the "origination" and "destination" columns?
I.e., on an incoming call (indicated by "Incoming CL" in
the Destination column), can I assume the "origination"
field indicates his current location?  (this seems to be
the case).

I.e., "Why were you in XXXXX at 10:12AM when you should have
been at *work* in YYYYY?"

> Sorry to hear about the reason for the request, hopefully
> there aren't any kids involved.

If there were no kids, I'd just consider him a prick...  :-(
People make mistakes.  Sometimes those mistakes cause others
harm.  Assholes don't learn from their mistakes!

Thanks!
--don