[Tfug] Anyone tried out PC-BSD?

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 01:12:26 MST 2010

On 02/27/2010 07:18 AM, Eric Gearhart wrote:
> Has anyone tried out PC-BSD? It's basically FreeBSD but with a pretty
> slick looking package manager called PBI, that actually looks
> reminiscent of the way that software is installed on Mac OS X... .pbi
> files include all the dependencies self contained, much the same way
> .apps on OS X work. Plus it looks like with a little bit of work you
> can install to a ZFS filesystem... that's pretty cool stuff

Hmm, suddenly I'm a little more interested. I've been giving this
package management strategy some though since I've started working with
a bunch of Mac users. I would guess this probably turns into extra disk
space usage, but considering the sizes of HD these days, trading out
dependency hell might not be so bad.

Thoughts?

-- chris