[Tfug] [Way OT] Local source of bulk popcorn

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 16:04:07 MST 2010

Hi Harry,

--- On Wed, 2/17/10, Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:

> On 2/16/10 12:40 PM, Bexley Hall wrote:

> > Costco seems like they *might* carry Orville Reddenbacher (sp?)
> > in small (8 lb) containers -- though I don't see any in stock.
> > No idea what Sam's Club carries (we don't have a membership as
> > they are clear across town from us).
> >
> > Any other places that we might try?  Else we'll probably have to
> > have it shipped in from Nebraska or someplace similar.  :<
>
> Not local, but truck load delivery.

Fine -- as long as I'm not driving to feenigs!  :>

> You have to find a drop point to work with, but most are friendly, and
> you have to setup a free account to get access to pricing.  Also there
> is a minimum order, $50 I think.

Depending on their prices, $50 is probably easy to hit.
I think we pay about $30 for 35# ("delivered") -- most of
that is UPS charges.  :<

> If all you want is a bag of popcorn, let me know, and I can
> add it to my next order.  This months order is being delivered
> today or tomorrow, so you would need to place your order within
> about 3 weeks

Excellent!  We'll argue about which to try first and get
back to you.

> http://www.azurestandard.com/
>
> You can get smaller amounts of these, if you want to try them.
> Also you can get UPS shipping on non-refrigerated items, but you
> have to pay shipping, the refrigerated truck drop off is free.
>
> Multicolored organic 25 pounds - $23.20:
> http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=GR171

I suspect we'll start with this (above).  I'll need to do
some more research to see what the corn is actually like
(e.g., different textures, popped shapes, etc. make them
suitable for different purposes).

> Yellow, 50 pounds - $34.65:
> http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=GR021
>
> Yellow organic, 50 pounds - $37.70:
> http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=GR024
>
> Yellow organic, 25 pounds - $19.95:
> http://www.azurestandard.com/product.php?id=GR022

I'll get back to you next week (?).  Perhaps take you
to lunch sometime (I'd also like to pick your brain re:
home automation issues) and get you some cash for the
purchase...  (I'm NE -- Tanque Verde/Sabino Canyon -- but
can meet you just about anywhere, anytime -- "with notice")

Meanwhile, we'll have to make do with Orville's stuff...

Thanks!
--don