[Tfug] What are the best options for virtualization?

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Fri Aug 20 10:33:39 MST 2010

On 20 Aug 2010, Jim March wrote:
> If you don't have hardware virt, your SOLE choice for
> virtualization is VirtualBox and...it's actually not the best.
> It's the *easiest*, yeah, but it's not as stable as some other
> solutions.

Hi Jim,

What kind of experiences have you had with the other
virtualization options? I haven't looked at the offerings in a
while, but I remember these were the best options a few years
ago:

- KVM
- Linux VServer
- QEMU
- UML
- VMWare
- VirtualBox
- Xen

If I remember correctly, some of those only support running other
linux's in the guest VM; like Linux VServer, and UML. I need to
be able to run Windows in a VM for work. I do have hardware
virtualizaion support.

I've been running VirtualBox for about three years, but I am
interested in trying out other solutions.

Any recommendations?

--
Glen