[Tfug] voice recognition software

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Mon Apr 5 12:16:48 MST 2010

On Sun, April 4, 2010 11:57 am, Bexley Hall wrote:
Hi, Don,
>> I would like to set up a Linux Box for her.  She has
>> enough problems
>> without having to contend with virus problems on top of
>> everything else.
>
> Virii aren't a problem *if* you are careful with what you
> do online and how/where you do it.  Of course, if she's
> like most of The Unwashed Masses, she'll just go "wherever"
> and wonder, later, why she has a problem.  :<
     She believes her 5+ E-machine died because she pressed a wrong key.
It is now a lump.  I think getting 5 years out of an E-machine is an
accomplishment.

>> From what I can find, most voice recognition software,
>> at least stuff that works is limited to Windows.
>> Does any one know of something in Linux that
>> would work to assist in computer operation and be usable
>> for on-line e-mail and chat?
>
> The only real open source VR that I am aware of is the Sphinx
> project.  But, I don't think it is ready for prime time.  :<
     I really didn't get much encouragement from the information I got on
that either.
> Have you, instead, considered taking a different approach
> entirely?  I.e., she can *read* stuff on the screen, right?
> And, presumably, can do some limited *coarse* navigation
> (click on icons, etc.).
>
> Why not let her send *voice* messages?  No need to type.  And,
> no need to get frustrated with the errors that the VR software
> injects (especially if her stroke affected speech centers in
> any significant way).
>
> <shrug>  Dunno without knowing her particular situation...
     Apparently someone will set up the machine for her with XP.  I'm
passing that off because I have too many problems installing Windows
... it is very complex and frustrating without apt-get ... barbaric
system.
     I'll try to find her a computer at World Care.

Earl
--
If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses.