[Tfug] Way OT: Advertising

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Tue Sep 29 15:41:11 MST 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [Tfug] Way OT:  Advertising
From: Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
Date: 09/29/2009 12:08 PM
> Hi,
>
> I tend to be largely immune to advertising.  Partly because
> I don't avail myself of the traditional media outlets that
> advertisers (ab)use -- very little TV, very little radio,
> images disabled in browser, etc. -- and probably also due
> to my inherent cynicism ("No other product is better" -- you
> mean, *you* aren';t any better than any of the other
> products, either?  etc.).
>
> Plus, I tend to not be interested in the types of products
> that are mass marketed.  :-/
>
> But, the *increase* in outlets and forms of advertising
> has me completely baffled; it *must* work (?) else why
> would they bother putting ads on busses, on the floors
> in stores, on the sides of cars, on your receipts, etc.
>
> (of course, the Cynic simply rationalizes this as "easier for
> them to do than it is for them to make their product *better*)
>
> So, this has finally risen to the level of discomfort
> (lack of knowledge) that I think I have to do something in
> order to be able to ignore it, again.  :<
>
> Do any of the local schools have a *worthwhile* course in
> advertising, the psychology of buying, etc. that I could
> *audit*?  I don't want a practical course that tells you
> *how* to advertise.  Rather, I want something that explains
> *if* and why ads work.  I.e., a justification for why you
> should invest $X in advertising (which is neverending)
> instead of investing that same $X in making your product
> better (more features, more reliability, better warranty).
>
> E.g., furniture companies, car companies, etc. just litter
> the air waves with "continuous sales" (how is it a "sale"
> if there is one every week?).  Folks like Qwest, Comcast, etc.
> spend a few dollars per month per residence trying to sign
> people up for their service (why not spend that money trying
> to *keep* your existing customers?!)
>
> Alternatively (and, probably more preferably!), can anyone who
> may have taken such a course point me to a textbook that I
> could glean the information from (far less time commitment
> than auditing a class).
>
> Meanwhile, I'll see what the public library has to say.
>
> Thanks!
> --don

Take a look at this book:

Predictably Irrational

http://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Irrational-Hidden-Forces-Decisions/dp/006135323X

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.