[Tfug] Way OT: Advertising

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 12:08:56 MST 2009

Hi,

I tend to be largely immune to advertising.  Partly because
I don't avail myself of the traditional media outlets that
advertisers (ab)use -- very little TV, very little radio,
images disabled in browser, etc. -- and probably also due
to my inherent cynicism ("No other product is better" -- you
mean, *you* aren';t any better than any of the other
products, either?  etc.).

Plus, I tend to not be interested in the types of products
that are mass marketed.  :-/

But, the *increase* in outlets and forms of advertising
has me completely baffled; it *must* work (?) else why
would they bother putting ads on busses, on the floors
in stores, on the sides of cars, on your receipts, etc.

(of course, the Cynic simply rationalizes this as "easier for
them to do than it is for them to make their product *better*)

So, this has finally risen to the level of discomfort
(lack of knowledge) that I think I have to do something in
order to be able to ignore it, again.  :<

Do any of the local schools have a *worthwhile* course in
advertising, the psychology of buying, etc. that I could
*audit*?  I don't want a practical course that tells you
*how* to advertise.  Rather, I want something that explains
*if* and why ads work.  I.e., a justification for why you
should invest $X in advertising (which is neverending)
instead of investing that same $X in making your product
better (more features, more reliability, better warranty).

E.g., furniture companies, car companies, etc. just litter
the air waves with "continuous sales" (how is it a "sale"
if there is one every week?).  Folks like Qwest, Comcast, etc.
spend a few dollars per month per residence trying to sign
people up for their service (why not spend that money trying
to *keep* your existing customers?!)

Alternatively (and, probably more preferably!), can anyone who
may have taken such a course point me to a textbook that I
could glean the information from (far less time commitment
than auditing a class).

Meanwhile, I'll see what the public library has to say.

Thanks!
--don