[Tfug] Labeling components

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 22:08:59 MST 2009

> I have, from time to time, seen "white pen" (no better
> way to describe it) written on some devices.  Almost as
> if this was a white "Sharpie".  That seems a win as you
> could choose to deface *one* of the chips on the memory
> module and still have the other (identical) chips
> unmarred so you could read their markings, if needed.
>
> Any idea what sort of "pen" this is?  Or, any other
> ideas as to how to tag the devices reliably?

Sharpie sells a "silver" version, that is pretty much a paint marker,
available at any office supply store.  Works great, if you keep it tip
down in your bag.  Not sure if it's conductive, but in most cases I'm
not labeling things where that would be an issue.

For work, I carry two sharpies (Black, Silver) and a Dymo Rhino 3000
labeler.  Total cost for all of that is less than $40.    The Dymo
labelers tend to be better than Brother ones, because they have a
larger selection of cable specific tape types.

- Zack