[Tfug] Unreachable static IP

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 08:41:22 MST 2009

> Are you sure that your destination device isn't blocking the ICMP
> packets from traceroute/ping?  This is a common "security" feature
> that often breaks troubleshooting...

Well, we can ping from inside the network. I should maybe do some port
forwarding to one of the servers inside the network. That way, if
service is available from them, we'll know that since the servers are
being reached, the router is also reachable.

> Is there some service issue with the connection - do hosts behind the
> router not have an internet connection?   Are there other
> services/open ports that are offered through that router that aren't
> working?

Yes, there is a service issue. While our computers behind the router
can get internet, we can't receive any phone calls. It seems as though
connections established from within work, while connections from
without don't get in.

>> Server1 and Server2 can also not reach the linksys router. They also
>> have static ips. I've been told that the oneaccess router is
>> completely unconfigurable by us. I guess the isp provided it and
>> doesn't allow us access to it.
>
> Is the WAN subnet mask set correctly on the linksys router?

Well, this is one thing that I had considered, and exactly where my
non-network administrator status steps in. My theory at this point is
that it has something to do with the fact that one router is connected
to another, the LinkSys is connected OneAccess router, and somehow the
netmasks need to be changed a bit, I just don't know how.

I had also considered that this could be a routing table issue at the
isp. I just don't know how to confirm or deny this, but maybe it has
to do with the MAC address associated with the old router.

When I get back to work tomorrow morning, I'll look to see if there
are firewall settings blocking the ping/traceroutes. For various
reasons that seem not to be too important at this point, I do doubt
that it's a firewall thing.

I'll report back though -- Chris