[Tfug] Unreachable static IP

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 04:42:40 MST 2009

Hi all, I'm working for a company that's having some issues with one
of the static ip addresses assigned to it by its isp. Before going to
an outside source, we thought it would be worth trying to fix it on
our own.

Here's the situation. We have four or five static IP addresses
assigned to us. All of them are reachable from the internet with the
exception of this one. We'll just call it xxx.xxx.xxx.50

I used the services at cqcounter.com to run traceroute from a computer
outside of the network, and that's how I discovered that the computer
was unreachable. The whois query on that page did manage to find the
associated hostname when I entered the IP address.

The problem seemed to happen when the router that the address was
bound to died and was replaced by another one.

Here is a layout of the network

                                  Internet
                                     /
                                    /
 | oneaccess one200 voip router |

    ----------
    ----------  \                               \
       |          \                          Server1 (xxx.xxx.xxx.51)
       |            \
       |         Server2 (xxx.xxx.xxx.53)

 | Linksys Router (xxx.xxx.xxx.50) |--------| Asterisk Server |
     /   \                      \
   /       \                     \----------
 /           \                   | SIP    |
wlan      Server3             ----------

Now there are some other things on the internal network too, but I
don't know if it mattes at this point.

Server1 and Server2 can also not reach the linksys router. They also
have static ips. I've been told that the oneaccess router is
completely unconfigurable by us. I guess the isp provided it and
doesn't allow us access to it.

So there you have it. I'm sure for someone who knows what they are
doing, this isn't enough information, so just ask for anything else.
I'm also sure you can tell I'm not a network admin, I've just been
assigned the task because I'm the intern.

Thanks for any help on this. I have until Monday afternoon to get this
done. Then we go to an outside source.

-- Chris