[Tfug] windows to linux

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Sat Sep 26 12:47:25 MST 2009

> Rocco,
>
> I tried Fedora 10 live CD on my PIII 1GHz with 384 MB memory.  I am
> looking for a distro for some World Care machines.  The CD booted went
> through the loading routine but ended up in a very colorful striped
> pattern on the screen.  I had Ubuntu 9.04 on this machine and later loaded
> Mandriva Spring.  The CD worked on my P4 and dual core laptop very well.
> Fedora CD recognized a different maximum screen resolution for my monitor
> (1700) than Ubuntu (1600) or Mandriva (1400).
>
> My general experience is Liz might be better served by trying the Live CD
> first.  The extra time invested might be worth while.
>
> Earl

Yeah, definitely a good idea. After all, one of the advantages of a Live
CD is that you can tell if it sees (and configures) your hardware
correctly before actually installing.

I know that it's become popular for Live CD's to have a 'Install To
Harddrive' (or similar type of thing). So maybe she'll run into a
distrob that has a Live CD that will make this simple. I know the Fedora
Live CD does.

I'm not trying to push Fedora over any other distrob. It's just what I
know. But since they make it so hard to find any downloads of anything
other than the latest version, I want to offer Liz this Fedora 10 Live
CD link so she has yet another Live CD to try...

Liz... if you have a Linux Box around, 'K3b' is the CD/DVD Burning
software. Use the 'burn CD Image' option. I think Windows uses 'Roxio'
for burning CDs, so find the equivalent option.

Again... not sure this is where I got my Live CD image in the past, so
use at your own risk. But it is probably OK...

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Live/i686/F10-i686-Live.iso

Rocco