[Tfug] karmic test iso

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Fri Sep 25 22:49:45 MST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org>wrote:

> Hello Hello,
>
> I have downloaded several karmic test iso files now and none of them are
> installing!! They are failing during the initial base layout because the
> discs
> do not contain dpkg!!!
>
> I am not a big fan of any of the buntu distros, but I do enjoy playing with
> them once they come out. I despise their KDE setup, and I just don't care
> for
> Gnome. I will admit it is by far the best Gnome distro there is. Nothing
> compares to the care they have taken to make Gnome nice, however, I am just
> not a Gnome person. I really like my KDE.

If you really like KDE why not install a KDE focused distro, such as
OpenSUSE? While OpenSUSE's GNOME setup isn't bad either, the distro has
always "leaned towards" KDE, and YaST in my humble opinion rocks... it
provides an actual GUI for Linux common tasks, administration and hardware.

The installer even lets you pick between KDE 3.5 or 4 (some people really
dislike KDE 4...)

I installed OpenSUSE 11.1 in a VirtualBox virtual machine at work this past
week, and I wasn't disappointed

--
Eric