[Tfug] OOo pdfs

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Fri Sep 25 07:00:00 MST 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 11:20 am, Charles R. Kiss wrote:

> Thanks Rich,
>
> An important piece of information indeed: KGhostview, KPDF, and
> Konqueror display precisely the same error.  Haven't checked for
> all errors, however.

I thought as much. Don't they all use the same underlying code?
Konqueror uses either of the others: kpdf in turn uses xpdf; and
kghostview uses ghostview. I'm reasonably sure xpdf uses ghostview in
some manner. Sounds like the ghostview package needs fixing.

Try Adobe Reader or Evince. It may be that OO.o is trying to write
newer versions of PDF than your install of ghostview can handle.

> I have to add that I wrote a little too soon; actually, even the
> "tagged' pdf option in openoffice generated an error of the type
> described: a "box".  But the errors are now less frequent, so more
> difficult to detect, maybe out a of a few tries I can get an error-
> less export.  And least it's not replacing a numeral '2' with a
> numeral '3'
>
> I'm going to try to remove the BitStream Vera font directory next;
> one I haven't experimented with.  I "think I recall" it being one
> of those font packages or tar files or whatever that I
> unsuccessfully tried to install... I can't guess much further,
> running out of guesses, but am certainly interested in finding out
> what is creating the errors, given that I would otherwise have a
> perfectly running Linux operating system.  ;)
>
> Is there a way I can do an strace on a .odt to .pdf export?
Well yes, but you're going to be tracing an awful lot of bloat to
catch something it probably thinks it's doing correctly...