[Tfug] windows to Linux

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 11:26:45 MST 2009

Hi Liz,

> I put the CD in to boot, and it goes
> through the gyrations and then gives me some weird error
> message of "no disk found".

<frown>  Typical uninformative error message (cripes, do
people think saving 10 or 20 char's in an error message is
going to make their bloated applications *leaner*???  :< )

While I have no first-hand experience with *your* problem,
this error message might more accurately be: "no available
disk space found".  (I have seen some systems do this).

In that case, the installer would be seeing the Windows
(FAT32 or NTFS) "partition" and noting that there is no
*other* UNUSED space available.  So, wiping the MBR would
(presumably) let the installer see the disk as "virgin".

> I got in to bios and ran a full disk scan and it coms out clean.
>
> I also deleted my D: partition for recovery,
> as well as some type of unidentified partition, that I was
> wondering got created from the linux install.

Ah, this tends to contradict my hypothesis.  Did you actually
*remove* the partition?  I.e., if you look at the MBR, is
it "gone"?  (I am assuming D is a partition on the *one*
disk -- since it is a laptop -- and not a second spindle)

The unidentified partition may be a "system restore" partition
(for the Windows OS).  Or, it can also be utilities that the
BIOS needs (or makes available).  There may be Dragons there...