[Tfug] OpenOffice file exports to PDF

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Sep 16 18:50:13 MST 2009

Charles R. Kiss wrote:
> I set up a directory http://charles.kissbrothers.com/files containing
> four files: 1) the original .odt, 2) the .export.pdf 3) the
> printtofile.ps and 4) the ps2pdf.pdf.
>
> You can see the errors only [checked and rechecked] in the .export.pdf
> file.  They are amusing.  For example, the third line of page one
> contains a 'twig' shaped font instead of a '1' at a subscript. Second
> line, page two, has a 'gamma' looking thing instead of a '2', more
> errors: there's a 'box' instead of a 'zero' at the middle of the page.
>
> I certainly am interested to find out if it is a corrupt .odt file or
> a corrupt export process. Let me know (if you have the time). I have
> to say, that nothing else on my linux install, including audio, video,
> games, the virtualbox windows partitions and all it's software, shared
> folders, games, etc. (Thanks John!) work as perfectly as I can tell.
>
> Thanks again,
> Charles

I opened your .odt file and saved it as a .pdf and it looks just fine.
So that leaves me believing your fonts are not setup correctly. Next
step is reinstall your fonts and try again. I forget if you mentioned
now, is this Gnome or KDE? I don't know about Gnome, but KDE has a
graphical installer for handling system fonts and/or personal fonts. In
the past I had similar problems where I had a font installed personally
and OOo would not embed it, but once I installed the font globally it
worked just fine...

nathan