[Tfug] pps's with audio

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 16:07:20 MST 2009

Hi James,

> Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I disagree.  There seems to be a trend towards "all-in-one"
> > packages that is disloyal to the traditional virtues of UN*X
> > (in which you used combinations of existing tools rather than
> > inventing *new* tools with the same -- though now *broken* --
> > functionality)
>
> Are you talking about the linux kernel or GNU/Linux? I was talking
> about just the kernel (which is what the original poster was calling
> bloat-ware). From your post it sounds like you're talking about
> GNU/Linux or entire distributions.

I think the OP was citing OO (or something similar) and how "big"
it was *just* to view PPS's.

My specific comment was targeted towards "packages" (applications...
no idea what the Linux world wants to call them  :-/ ).

But, the same comments can also apply to the kernel itself.
I.e., we're almost *40* years past "UN*X" and we're still
building monolithic kernels.  The Linux camp, IMO, has sorely
missed the boat by wasting "brain cycles" (cpu cycles?)
trying to squeeze tiny bits of performance out of the code
(most likely at the expense of bugs and maintenance costs)
when "time" will yield far better performance increases
by "doing nothing".

[an adage I learned in school *several* :-/ decades ago was
"make no change unless it gives you 2X improvement (in "whatever")]

The gains (in performance) that the kernel (strives) to make
are easily offset by the errors that creep in, the costs
of fixing those errors, etc.

E.g., if "Linux" were a company, it could never support such
an inefficient development effort. (How many man *decades* have
gone into building the kernel?  Is it AT LEAST twice as fast/small
as comparable kernels out there??)

<shrug>  Just by 10b cents.