[Tfug] OT: PIC ADCs and differential inputs

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Oct 20 13:22:10 MST 2009

OK... so I finally broke down and bought a Olimex PIC development board to
start playing with. Far smaller in physical size than what I thought it would
be and actually got more flash/RAM than I was expecting, as the PIC core had
been upgraded in the latest rev. Suprising responsive on the network when
free-running, though it is pretty easy to swap it with requests and stall it
out.

So, I have run into my first problem. The PIC has multiple single-ended ADC
inputs, but a common +Vref and ground on the devel board. For the hobby
project I'm working on, I want to measure multiple voltage ranges, with
different ground references. I.e. I want to measure 2+ 48V power sources (for
instance, a battery stack and 1 or more supplies) which may be fully
protected behind diode bridges, the 48V output to the load, and current
shunts from/to the batteries, etc.

Circuit:
 +--*|==|*--+->|-------+
 |          |          | +48V bus
Bat       Charger      |
 +-------*--+-|<----+  |                Load
                    |  |                Connection
                    +--|---------+--*---Gnd
                    |  |         |
 +---*|==|*--->|----|--+         |
 |    current       |          -----
Pwr   shunt         |           ---  Chassis
 |                  | Gnd bus    -   Ground
 +--------*---|<----+
  * - measurement points

Measuring a single 48V power suppply is pretty straight forward, simple
resistor divider network referenced to ground. But measuring multiple 48V
where the ground reference of each is behind a diode creates a potential
short circuit loop. Trying to then measure a 100mV current shunt with a 48V
offset at the same time is pretty useless as there is no dynamic range in the
ADC (works out to about 60mV per LSB at 10bit).

Does anybody have any handy-dandy circuits for this type of thing? What I
really need is some differential ADC inputs, but as I said, the PIC only has
single-ended. I can think of a couple ways to do it, some really ugly. It
comes down to requiring no protection diodes on the measured source
(everything on a common reference bus) and isolating the ground of the devel
board from the chassis for a "simple" solution...

Adrian