[Tfug] Tweet from Michael Foord (@voidspace)

erich erich1 at copper.net
Tue Oct 6 07:10:56 MST 2009

Joe Roberts wrote:
> I've been using Gentoo on my desktop almost exclusively since 2002 and
> I don't think of it as a particularly broken or unstable distribution.
>
> What does sometimes happen is things break *really badly* in Gentoo,
> when they do tank, which is fairly rare.  I went through this last
> week.
>
> One thing that is making life complicated in Gentoo is that KDE4
> remains unstable.  Increasingly this is relying on unstable packages
> outside of KDE4, which sometimes makes things difficult and
> unpleasant.
>
> The nature of Gentoo is it encourages users to tinker, sometimes maybe
> with things they shouldn't be tinkering with (well, this is my problem
> anyway).  It makes you really comfortable screwing around with
> compilers and their switches, different library versions, and so on.
> You can very easily hose your system this way.
>
> Obviously those who are Linux geniuses don't have this problem as often.

    This is currently my problem. I tried to install 2008.0, and it is too
far behind the times to be upgradeable.
     However see:

               http://www.gentoo.org/

They've come out with a 10th anniversary DVD that I'm currently
downloading after hours. My vintage WorldCare box in the
shop will be the guinea pig for it.

Erich