[Tfug] Tweet from Michael Foord (@voidspace)

Joe Roberts deepspace at dataswamp.net
Mon Oct 5 16:54:11 MST 2009

I've been using Gentoo on my desktop almost exclusively since 2002 and
I don't think of it as a particularly broken or unstable distribution.

What does sometimes happen is things break *really badly* in Gentoo,
when they do tank, which is fairly rare.  I went through this last
week.

One thing that is making life complicated in Gentoo is that KDE4
remains unstable.  Increasingly this is relying on unstable packages
outside of KDE4, which sometimes makes things difficult and
unpleasant.

The nature of Gentoo is it encourages users to tinker, sometimes maybe
with things they shouldn't be tinkering with (well, this is my problem
anyway).  It makes you really comfortable screwing around with
compilers and their switches, different library versions, and so on.
You can very easily hose your system this way.

Obviously those who are Linux geniuses don't have this problem as often.

Overall, after 7 years of Gentoo, I'm only ever inclined to switch
when I run into some horrible dependency problem and I ask myself how
much I really care about rolling upgrades and having the latest and
greatest version of something, which is rare.

Ordinarily I don't think about it too much.