[Tfug] OT: Batteries

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 25 14:47:07 MST 2009

> I cast a vote in favor of standard
> batteries.  That's mostly because of our astonished
> delight upon learning that my mom's new cordless phone
> set uses standard batteries (so they can be replaced for a

I have the same attitude towards cameras.  But, using
COTS batteries really affects the size/shape/weight/etc.
of the product.  (imagine an iPod Nano using COTS batteries)

> few dollars instead of twenty). I think customers would
> prefer that, too, if there's a reasonable chance the
> batteries will need replacing.

So, cell phones are considered disposable?  :>  (short
lived devices that don't *rely* on the batteries that they
use being available "in the long run"...)  That was the
other aspect I was trying to point out (besides cost
and convenience).  I.e., *aside* from cost, how would
you feel if you simply *couldn't* buy a replacement battery
for your laptop 2 years after you bought it??