[Tfug] HALP! DynDNS nightmare, again...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:00:20 MST 2009

OK, I'm still stuck but I think I've narrowed it down.  Here's the sitrep:

When I'm coming in on a laptop from the outside world from a WINDOWS
laptop (off of the Cricket cellular net) I can't ping the "server".
Yet if I ping it via the DynDNS name (xxx.dyndns.com) it DOES pick up
the correct IP address, such as:

>ping userspecific.dyndns.com
pinging [correct IP addy] with 32 bytes of data
request timed out.
[etc, total packet loss]

>From my LINUX person laptop I was getting ping data.  But not from a
Windows laptop.  That's what threw me, and that's obviously why I'm
now stuck...I made the mistake yesterday of doing the ping tests from
my Ubuntu lappy (Verizon cellnet) assuming that also meant ping would
work from the windows/cricket lappy.  Bad assumption.

It doesn't seem to matter AT ALL whether I do my DynDNS settings
within the router or with a Windows client at the server end.

Both the Windows laptop and Windows "server" are Vista (yuk).

Windows "ping" from the laptop works fine for www.google.com so it's
not something weird with Cricket.

What the hell is going on here?  Yeah, I tried opening port 5900 on
the windows lappy.  No help.  I confirmed Comcast isn't blocking 5900.

Is it possible Cricket is blocking port 5900?  But...that wouldn't
explain why ping from the Windows/Cricket side isn't working.

I tried connecting the Windows lappy straight to the Ethernet WAN
connection on the router - it wouldn't establish a connection of any
sort, so that test looks to be out.

LIKE HALP!

:(

Jim