[Tfug] suspend to ram question

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 08:24:15 MST 2009

>> I assumed that in suspend to ram, a dying battery would just die. I
>> wonder if my lappy is smart enough to wake up and save things to disk.
>
> You'd think so, wouldn't you? So did Steve Jobs...
> Apple laptops only have one "sleep" mode, and you just described it. This
> doesn't apply to any of the PPC models or some of the early Intels.

Actually, all Apple Intel laptops (and some of the last generation PPC
laptops) have hibernate capability - previous generations only had
suspend.

Unfortunately, OS X doesn't give you much control over this and
defaults all computers into hibernate, unless you want to play with
pmset on the command line.    As a workaround, I use this software:

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

To set the machine to suspend unless the battery is at a very low level.

- Zack