[Tfug] suspend to ram question

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Tue Nov 10 07:19:16 MST 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 10:12 am, christopher floess wrote:

>> Note that your laptop *should* be smart enough to at least alert
>> you to this impending possibility and/or automatically wake up and
>> save everything on disk (i.e., a restorable memory image).
The laptop I need for my job (Windows) has a fine old time telling me
I need to plug in a power source soon or I'll lose my work. However,
it always tells me this *after* it's just gone to sleep due to low
battery. I find it wonderful guessing how much longer I have before I
need to plug in.

> I assumed that in suspend to ram, a dying battery would just die. I
> wonder if my lappy is smart enough to wake up and save things to disk.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? So did Steve Jobs...
Apple laptops only have one "sleep" mode, and you just described it.
This doesn't apply to any of the PPC models or some of the early Intels.

> Seems like a tall order,
Not really. How hard could it be? I mean, all you'd need would be
some kind of monitoring device capable of extrapolating data -- now
if only there were some device on board which already did some data
processing, you could re-use that...

R.