[Tfug] OT: easily reloaded windows machine

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Mon Nov 9 10:18:32 MST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> That would be a more elegant solution.  I'm looking for
> something "easier to understand".  I.e., "When your
> machine starts acting funny, insert this CD and reboot."
> which is the equivalent of MS's universal solution:
> "reinstall windows" except *quicker* (since it can simply
> *copy* an image onto the disk instead of god-knows-what
> MS's installer does for an hour) and that it would also
> allow the "installed apps" to be reinstalled "as is".
>
> As I said, its hard to believe someone hasn't come up with a
> canned solution to do this already...  :<

Someone's come up with a canned solution to do this :) I've used
CloneZilla before, and it seems to work pretty well. Someone's made a
LiveCD that does exactly what you want:

"A backup/restore system
I have chosen Clonezilla Live for this, as it is flexible enough to
fulfill my needs. Furthermore, it makes it possible to create
automated restore CDs/DVDs. This way, restoring a system will be fast
and easy enough for anyone to perform (even people with minimum
technical knowledge)."

http://clonezilla-sysresccd.hellug.gr/intro.html

--
Eric