[Tfug] OT: easily reloaded windows machine

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 08:37:04 MST 2009

Hi Earl,

Still traveling?  Or have you returned?

> > Seems that this is XP/Vista.  I was hoping for a more generic
> > solution.
> >
> > E.g., I was thinking:
> > - boot a *NIX kernel
> > - run fdisk and <whatever>format on the disk
> > - copy "diskimage" to raw device
> >
> > Building the image would be similar:  copy raw device to
> > a "file" that can be burned onto the CD...
>  It seems like you almost want to run windows in something
> like vbox.

That would be a more elegant solution.  I'm looking for
something "easier to understand".  I.e., "When your
machine starts acting funny, insert this CD and reboot."
which is the equivalent of MS's universal solution:
"reinstall windows" except *quicker* (since it can simply
*copy* an image onto the disk instead of god-knows-what
MS's installer does for an hour) and that it would also
allow the "installed apps" to be reinstalled "as is".

As I said, its hard to believe someone hasn't come up with a
canned solution to do this already...  :<