[Tfug] xdm vs login

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 13:04:37 MST 2009

Hi Jeremy,

> > Is there any way I can hack xdm (via its configuration files)
> > to *run* login (effectively) so that logins through xdm are
> > *identical* (functionally) with those through login(1)?
>
> by *identical*, do you mean after logging into xdm, the system shuts
> down xorg and has you sitting there logged in at a virtual terminal?
> Or do you mean equivalent to logging in at the console and running
> startx? Seems like since login can be via a console, terminal, ssh,
> etc., the effect of logging in with login and xdm have to (or at least
> should) be different. Or is this a session / bashprofile issue?

I want the user's environment to be the same regardless of
whether he telnet's-in, ssh's-in, xdm's-in or *log's*-in (login).
It seems that each of these replicate the login code "in theory"
but not "in detail".  I.e., they don't run the same binary
but *try* to "do the same things" (though not completely)