[Tfug] xdm vs login

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:23:26 MST 2009

> Is there any way I can hack xdm (via its configuration files)
> to *run* login (effectively) so that logins through xdm are
> *identical* (functionally) with those through login(1)?

by *identical*, do you mean after logging into xdm, the system shuts
down xorg and has you sitting there logged in at a virtual terminal?
Or do you mean equivalent to logging in at the console and running
startx? Seems like since login can be via a console, terminal, ssh,
etc., the effect of logging in with login and xdm have to (or at least
should) be different. Or is this a session / bashprofile issue?