[Tfug] Cabling between buildings

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Thu May 28 12:57:14 MST 2009

On 27 May 2009 at 8:26, Paul Lemmons  wrote:

> If they can afford to trench long distances i would recommend microwave
> point-to-point. High bandwidth, reliable, secure and no cables to have
> to bury. The only requirement is line of sight. Distance is measured in
> miles.

We're having issues with a microwave link (2.4ghz, but not WiFi) between two
buildings about a mile apart in Oro Valley.  When the link was put in, the
line-of-site was clean, but in the 10 years since, there has been so much
construction that roof lines between the two antennas now impinge upon the
Fresnel zone and throughput has dropped significantly.  For political reasons
we can't raise the antennas.

What I'm saying is that you need to be absolutely sure no new growth of trees
or new construction will interfere with your microwave links.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona