[Tfug] Cabling between buildings

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Wed May 27 08:26:00 MST 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:[Tfug] Cabling between buildings
From: "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf at geoapps.com>
To: Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>
Date: 05/27/2009 08:06 AM
> On 25 May 2009 at 14:04, Bexley Hall  wrote:
>

>> I've a friend who has several buildings on his property (many acres) between
>> which he would like to run network cabling.  Wireless is out of the question
>> (paranoia as well as distances).
>>
>> I imagine you can purchase CAT5 cable suitable for direct burial.  But, I am
>> not sure that even that would handle the distances involved (think:  many
>> acre ranch).
>>
>> Optical fibre comes to mind as a solution (especially to tolerate any large
>> common mode voltages that you could encounter in such an installation --
>> think: lightning).  But, are there any better options?  He's not keen on
>> spending a lot of money to do so (e.g., he could always purchase multiple
>> cell phones with "data service" and route packets through TPC to get from
>> location A to location B  :-/ )
>>

> Lightning will be a problem if you use copper wire between buildings unless you
> go to extremes to ground out voltage issues caused by nearby strikes.
>
> I would go fiber-optic or wireless.
>
> --
> Angus Scott-Fleming
> GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona
> 1-520-290-5038

If they can afford to trench long distances i would recommend microwave
point-to-point. High bandwidth, reliable, secure and no cables to have
to bury. The only requirement is line of sight. Distance is measured in
miles.

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.